Saturday, April 27, 2019

Flower time

It is wonderful how things change quickly at this time of the year. Here is what my garden has been up to. It's Saturday, which means it is time for us all to gather at The Propagator's blog, and present our Six things.
As he says, "Six things, in the garden, on a Saturday. Could be anything – a flower, a new plant, a job to do, a success, a failure, anything at all. Join in!"


1. We got chicks! We have five chicks, of a clutch of nine eggs. Here are two, posing rather adorably.
And here is one, heroically swallowing a bee. Look for the smugly dissipated expression at the end..


2. One most beautiful and most perfect peach rose, gently scented with tea and borne on purple stems.

 3. Our first cheddar pink. These are easy enough to grow, but this first flower has been three years and two location shifts in the making- thanks to my chickens.
Totally worth the wait.
4. I have always let my Edward rose grow as it likes, with the result that I had long bare limbs with roses at 8 feet high. Till I took Ms.Jekyll's advice. Tying the branches horizontally does ensure that they bloom all along the length. Take a look

 5. More roses. I did not think the red and yellow will play nicely together. But they do! Please do ignore the pipes..we plan to disguise them with rope. Some day.
6. And finally, a 'weed' which I love and do my best to spread. The pink evening primrose

5 comments:

Lora Hughes said...

It looks like outside-weather time. The chicks are so cute, but I really love the roses. The peach one is perfect, but also like how you Gertruded the other one. And yes, the yellow & red go very well together.

Lisa said...

I really like that long bed the Edward is in. Different and very attractive, I think.
Adorable chicks!

@cavershamjj said...

Love your roses! Looking forward to mine, if I can fight off the many pests and diseases that seem to love them too.

March said...

That is one lovely peach rose!

Chicu said...

Lora, it is definitely outside weather time. And we are enjoying it!
Lisa, that's not a long bed! It's a single shrub, and I trained some branches horizontally- like a stepover.
Cavershamjj- I have those diseases too, I am afraid. What to do?
March- thank you!

Post a Comment