Saturday, April 13, 2019

Spring is here!

Finally. And with my garden waking up, my garden blogging has too.
So here we go. It's Saturday, which means it is time for us all to gather at The Propagator's blog, and present our Six things.
As he says, "Six things, in the garden, on a Saturday. Could be anything – a flower, a new plant, a job to do, a success, a failure, anything at all. Join in!"

1. Summer light. Long, warmish evenings with that magical low golden light. And my favourite corner in the garden with the iris patch, the bench under the pear tree, and the roses


2. Spiraea. Not something I am too fond of, but everyone in the village is. I think I have mentioned before how all the village paths are lined with it.

The flowers are called Aprilia here, for obvious reasons. It is not till I took a closer look at them that I began to like them. My discovering that the flowers are lightly scented might have something to do with my new tolerance for them. 

 3. A new rose arch. A gift to me from the Mian. He's a keeper, that one.

4. Lady Banks' Rose. Rosa Banksiae. Such a pretty little thing, with that luscious butter yellow colour! It took me three years, but she is finally blooming.

5. I may have mentioned last year that we had eight fruits on our kiwi plants. Of those, we got to eat three. But this year, it appears that we might get a wee bit more. One of our two female plants and the male plant are all over buds, the other female is trying.

6. Coriander. Mian does not like it. I do. And so of course, we have a field of it.

2 comments:

Jane said...

Oh, that first photo! How glorious it is with the mellow light and the promise of spring. I have a Spirea ‘hedge’ which also flowers reliably ( in September here) and I also have neglected to look closely at the flowers which are delightful. Are you growing your Banksia rose on the beautiful arch?

@cavershamjj said...

Love your rose arch, glad to see both your garden and your blog are out of hibernation!

Post a Comment