Saturday, October 14, 2017

Snacks, plans and a visitor

Not much done around the garden this week..A slightly iffy arm and too much writing have kept me out of the garden. And Diwali is around the corner, so G has been on leave too. 
Which means I have been focusing on laid back dreaming and enjoying the fruits of my garden. 
Want to see? Here it is, my six garden things this Saturday. And do go over to The Propagator's blog..he started the Six-on-Saturday and has wonderful people joining in!

1. Harvest- All that plodding around in the monsoon, sticking a seed in here and there (in my case), and making textbook- perfect seed beds (in G's case)? This is what it was all for: Beans, corn, chilies. We are making stew this winter!
2. Snacks: Another harvest, but one in which we had put in zero effort. The persimmons are ripening! The barbets, magpies, woodpeckers, jays, and babblers have most of it. But we were determined to have some. So Mian went and picked out a whole box full. He is now patiently waiting for a dozen to ripen so that he can make his persimmon pudding. I do not think he is aware that I walk by the box several times a day and steal those that are ripe..
3. Chrysanthemums: They take three weeks to ripen, I am told. Sometimes, it seems longer. But here they are now!


4. Winter stuff: See that bench under the pear tree? It's my favourite place to sit on a winter morning. The problem is that it is located in my iris bed. While that bed is lovely in summer (early with iris, and late  with mirabilis), nothing much happens later on. Now wondering what I can put in to create some interest in the winter. And how many things can I put in before an iris bed ceases to be an iris bed? Also, those bare patches? They had iris rhizomes once. Then the chickens came by.

5. Project: I may have mentioned once or twice just how much I love the main path to our house. There is another that I don't talk about much,because I have never done anything to it. It is a wild path where one just scrambles up the hill. Well, it won't stay like that any longer. Post-Diwali, on the 20th to be exact, two handsome (and strong-backed) young men are coming over to help G and me lay a set of wood+gravel steps. It will be a step-path no longer, once the nice steps are put in.

6. Owl right! I have been bursting to share this for two days. People, meet the Asian Barred Owl. On our Eastern pear tree. Watching us have dinner.
Get ready now..
A profile, such as it is
The front!
And getting fed up of the two gawking humans







7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fantastic owl photos! There was a Barred Owl in our pine tree last year, but it was a rainy day and the photos I took were quite dark. So, chickens eat Iris rhizomes? I didn't know that.

JohnK said...

I'm just thinking how lucky you are to see that owl. There's one very near to me, maybe two. But I never see it (or them). If I caught a glimpse I'd be happy but all I get are sleepless nights when the hooting starts. How do you say "shut up, I'm trying to get some sleep here" in owl language?

Shirley said...

Hello there, thanks for sharing your current garden images - especially of your Asian Barred Owl! What a serious treat that must have been to see sitting there on your pear tree :-) Loving your bench below also. A set of wood/gravel steps sounds a great addition to the area - enjoy watching them being built :-)

Chicu said...

I hear you on the sleepless nights. We have a Scops owl in the area, and the continuous 'tut tut' is maddening. Especially at 3am, when it sounds like one's conscience knocking at the window.

Chicu said...

Glad you liked the photos. This was a very cooperative owl indeed! That is a comfy bench..sadly, only one person gets the pear tree backrest, but still pretty

Chicu said...

Thank you! We were lucky with this owl. Chickens don't eat the rhizomes, but they scratch around so much, they uproot them often. I replant all I can find, but the wee plants get pretty disheartened after a while.

Anonymous said...

nice owl

Post a Comment