Friday, December 5, 2008

For Tara.

On reading a previous post, Tara instructed me to ‘keep my eyes on the mountains and not on handsome engineers’. But what to do? We are like this only. I found another one!
This one is the sub-divisional engineer at BSNL (the phone company). He out-Carys Mr. Grant every step of the way, and is gallant to boot. I am getting a landline connection, and went to the ‘phone exchange to request them to please let me know when they come home, as otherwise the house will be empty. In the exchange, Mr.Cute is the first chap I come across, so I go up to him, smile, give him the gist of my problem and ask him if he knows who I should approach.
‘Well, follow me’
When I am tagging along with him, I notice that everyone is salaaming him. He enters the SDE’s office, which is when I realize who he is, and tells me to sit down.
He checks (without being asked) the status of my application, takes down the details, asks me if there is a time I would prefer the linesmen to come by, and how I am liking my move to Dehradun. By the end of the conversation, I am batting my eyelashes so furiously the draft is ruffling the papers on his desk.
Do you think I should drop by to thank him when my connection comes through?

2 comments:

Tara said...

Bloody hell.
Yes.
If only because such efficient delivery of public services has to be given positive reinforcement. Thank him with jambalaya.

Anonymous said...

taking the term 'moving government papers' to lashy heights.

nadi

Post a Comment